SEPTEMBER 2023 – Students and staff celebrated the start of the school year with an exciting Spirit Month! They showed off their cultures, favorite decades and favorite sports teams on themed dress-up days. On our annual Superhero Day, students engaged with local heroes like nurses, doctors, firefighters, and police officers! Staff decorated their doors to show gratitude to the donors, Board of Directors, and volunteers who have helped the school grow. Finally, students, staff, and parents “showed their Mainspring Colors” by wearing their favorite school pride gear!
For families that missed the October 2nd deadline, the Mainspring Online Merch store will be re-opening in the holiday season!
JULY 2023 – Mainspring Academy is delighted to announce that the JT Townsend Foundation has extended an invitation to our families who may be interested in receiving individual grants for adaptive equipment. The JT Townsend Foundation mission is to provide hope to the community of people living with disabilities by offering financial assistance for adaptive equipment and services that will improve their quality of life. Grant recipients have received adaptive mobility aids, feeding devices, asistive technology, bikes, carseats, medical equipment, and more. Read JT Townsend’s Inspiring Story Here>
If you would like to apply for a grant for your child, please have your doctor complete a letter of medical necessity describing your child’s need for the proposed equipment. You can then submit the letter and application on their website. If you need assistance with this process, please reach out to Mainspring Administration at [email protected]. We are happy to help! Apply Now>
- Monday, October 2nd- Out-of-pocket tuition due
- Tuesday, October 3rd – Open Parent Action Committee (PAC) Meeting 9:15am at Mainspring Academy
- Friday, October 13th – Extended Care Fees Due
- Friday, October 13th – Out-of-pocket Tuition Due
- Friday, October 13th – Food Truck Friday (Tay’s Homestyle Cooking. Click for menu. Please anticipate extra costs for the meal, plus tax. Send order and fee to the teacher by Thursday 10/12).
- Friday, October 13th – FREAKY FRIDAY SWITCHOFF- Staff are encouraged to dress like they did when they were in school. Students are encouraged to dress like they would if they were teachers.
- Monday, October 16th – SCHOOL CLOSED TO STUDENTS for Teacher Planning Day
- Tuesday, October 17th-20th – SCHOOL CLOSED to students unless enrolled in Intersession
- Friday, October 27th – FALL FESTIVAL – Costumes are welcome!
- Friday, October 27th – Food Truck Friday ( Dagwoods Original 1976 Food Truck – Click for menu. Please anticipate extra costs for the meal, plus tax. Send order and fee to the teacher by Thursday 10/26).
- Tuesday, October 31st – NO AFTERCARE
- Tuesday, November 1st – Out-of-pocket Tuition Due
- Friday, November 3rd– FLANNEL FRIDAY – Students and staff are encouraged to dress in their favorite flannels/plaid/tartan.
Questions or missing any forms? Check Quickschools! Many questions and requests can also be submitted in the Parent Corner of our website! More Information (Quickschools)> More Information (Parent Corner)>
Julia M. – October 10th
Tomas – October 11th
Diana – October 11th
Ms. Jen – October 13th
Taliyah – October 15th
Sadie D. – October 21st
Nathan Morales – October 24th
Riley– October 28th
Mainspring Academy has been awarded a $9,000 grant from Autism Services Grant Council and the Florida Autism License Plate Program in support of weekly music services. Our students look forward to music and enjoy the opportunities to express themselves through enrichment!
On behalf of the Mainspring Academy community of parents, staff, and supporters, thank you for the compassion and commitment you have shown for our students and school. It is the kindness of our donors and volunteers that has helped us to expand in size and quality, furthering our mission to provide quality, individualized education in a safe learning environment for students with intellectual and developmental differences who are often missed.
Thank you for the differences you make.
Hello, It’s me again, Benny the Manatee! I have had so much fun dressing up for Spirit Month at Mainspring Academy!
Did you know October is AAC Awareness month? AAC stands for Augmentive and Alternative Communication. Many of us can easily make our own choices, say what we need, and speak up for ourselves. How frustrating would it be to not be able to do that or to be misunderstood? From devices to pictures, flip books, sign language, and more, AAC is extremely important in helping many of our students communicate, participate in learning, self-advocate, and express themselves. For more information about AAC Awareness, please visit https://isaac-online.org/english/aac-awareness/.
A few friendly reminders:
(1) All volunteers NOT listed as a student’s parent, guardian, or sibling must complete a Volunteer Application to be kept on file. More Information>.
(2) If seeking parent participation credit, all volunteer hours must be reported via Parent Participation Credit Request Form. More Information>.
There will be a Parent Action Committee (PAC) Meeting Tuesday, October 3rd at 9:15am in the Mainspring Academy Cafeteria to discuss Fall Festival and Thanksgiving Feast! Parents interested in joining our volunteer event/holiday planning team can access meeting dates, topics, notes, signups, team updates, and action-day group messaging! Join our Parent Action Committee (PAC) (via Mobile or Desktop App)>
Our two Special Olympics events for the year have been scheduled! Volunteers will be needed from 11am-2pm at the duPont YMCA 7373 Old King’s Rd S, Jacksonville FL 32217 on January for Flag Football/Basketball and April for Track/Soccer. Details on dates and times in the following link. Get on the list>
Our Fall Festival will take place Friday, October 27th beginning at 12:00pm. (Volunteers will be setting up between 11:00-12:00pm. Decorating Team will meet Thursday, October 26th at 3:00pm.). Costumes are welcome!
Get on the list>
Curious about Mainspring Academy’s needs and how to support us through donations, pledges, or sponsorships? Check out our Ways to Give Page. More Information>
FOOD TRUCK FRIDAYS
Click to view the 2023-2024 Food Truck Schedule! >
(Beginning September 2023)
Exciting News! Check back towards the end of August! Link to Mainspring Store Coming Soon!